Wednesday, February 17, 2021

>Odd the way things have a way of happening. Many years ago we bought a little vacation home in the Berkshires. I had a good friend, Bobbie, who lived nearby and just after we moved in, she suggested that I should meet her friend Rita who lived very near to our new house. We met and hit it off immediately! And that was the beginning...we attended concerts at Tanglewood, shared meals in each others homes and also met in the city. We went out socially as couples and met with "the girls" for lunch. I did some design work for a family member of hers and we attended events for eachothers' children and grandchildren. A wonderful, solid friendship was born. Fast forward to a year ago. We spoke a few times a week and bemoaned the restrictions caused by Covid-19. I was in my apartmemnt at North Shore Towers and she was quaranteening at her daughter's country home in the Berkshires as an alternative to her Upper West Side apartment. One day, during a phone conversation, she shared that a friend of her daughter Lainie's had lunch with esteemed producer Meryl Poster and had suggested Rita as a subject for Meryl's forthcoming podcast, "Call Your Grandmother". After speaking with the producers Rita was cast and suggested a group of her friends as possible subjects...and lo and behold...I too was chosen. Once the producing team heard the conversations and easy, loving and carefree banter between the two of us...well...the rest is history...they asked us to co-host the podcast!
Suddenly, instead of the plethora of clothing, shoes, linens, cosmetics, books,etc (ad nauseum)that the Pandemic MADE ME purchase... Amazon was now delivering fancy headsets and microphones from production. We established Dropboxes (OK... considerable help from local grandson needed here) and became Zoom Queens as we "met" with the brilliant, delightful and saintly patient production team to record. We listened and we learned. And with each session we became more comfortable with the technology and free-er with our conversation. We reminisced about our childhood and youth...about the differences in life then and now...about food...marriage...politics...and any other subject that floated through our minds with regard to the Grandma and grandchild to whom we were listening to at that particular time. Much is simply stream of consciousness conversation about our life's philosophies and how they were formed, funny memories and some sweet reminisces...and of course, outstanding editing! And at last,the first episode was set to drop. And what a reception it got! I now know how a politician feels on election night as the numbers come in. But we had no need to worry. Meryl and her team always knew what they were doing and we were a HIT! A photographer was dispatched to our homes (Rita was now back in NYC) for a photo session for a full page article that appeared in the New York Post...a local PATCH did an article about Logan, my grandson who appeared in my segment of the podcast with me, and then Rita and I did a radio interview with Joan Hamberg which followed the second episode. More interviews ensued... Friends from all over contacted Rita and me with such glowing reviews. I spoke to someone I know who works in the movie industry and told her that Meryl was the producer and her reply was..."Meryl Poster? Wow, you are really in the big time now!!" Again more interviews followed and now...wait, brief pause while I pinch myself...we are going to be on the TODAY SHOW with Hoda and Jenna this Friday!! Since this was shared we have recorded the second season and the first two episodes have already dropped to great reviews. Last May Steve Harvey flew us down to Atlanta to be guests on his show and just this week, Rita and I were the bartenders on WATCH WHAT HAPPENS LIVE with Andy Cohen and appeared with Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone. Sometimes life throws a really good surprise at you and it is like a gift! A touch of "fame" ...elbow rubbing with celebrities and best of all having the spectacular Meryl, and Anna, Lindsay and Nikki guiding us along this incredible journey!
I know that the reception to the podcast has been amazing. We are in the top 100 on I-Heart-Radio and I believe in the top 2 new podcasts on Spotify! The reception by literally everyone who listens to it is one of delight and laughter. I also know that this whole experience has been one of the most exhilarating and exciting of my life. That it came at the most dismal and disheartening of times was part of it's miracle. And that Rita and I have bonded even further is the most cherished part. Meeting and working alongside such women as Anna, Lindsay, Nikki and Meryl lets me observe first hand how women in media actually could rule the world!! Where will this go from here...well...just have your people call my people...in the meantime, I have a load of laundry to fold and a meal in the oven!! In lieu of a recipe today, just call your favorite restaurant and place an order to be delivered! They need the business and you can use a day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment