Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dog(gie) Days - The BoardBroads

                                                                             
 


Before I can go further with my cavalier family story I have to introduce The BoardBroads, because without having met Chris and being introduced by her to Lucky Star Cavalier Rescue, my doggie story would end with Tetley.  Chris was one of the original BoardBroads and has remained a treasured friend. 

Having a cavalier is like belonging to an exclusive club.  Cavalier parents seek eachother out, speak in a "secret" vernacular and share the same concerns.We tend to be warm and caring people, but share a certain sense of privledge that we are "The Chosen"...to have the love of a cavalier.  I am sure that is is true with every breed...but I believe that my club is most extrordinary. 

                                                              
I had Crumpet for a short time and wanted to really learn about the breed.  I was relativly new to navigating cyberspace  but I began a search and somehow wound up on the AOL Message Boards.  I searched ...Animals> Dogs> Breeds>CKCS...and lo and behold...a whole new wonderful chapter of my life opened up.  I was immediately welcomed and a dog by the name of Keyboy invited Crumpet to a Pawtee at once.  Somehow, here the cavaliers were magically transported to a place called The Swamp...lavished in hot tubs...attended balls and had love affairs! ( I should have it so good!)  They also told tales about their moms and dads... but the best part was the conversations between the cavi moms...the advice, support and genuine friendship...and therefore, this site pulled me back day after day.  After my first baby step in I merely lurked for a while.  The contributing folks were all preparing to  meet in Atlanta. They were coming from all over to a Cavalier Event...from Texas and Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Canada, California, Georgia, Louisiana and on and on.  Were they insane?  Meeting people from the internet...what if they were axe murderers... OMG...strangers... But not for long! The next posts were filled with the fabulous stories of their adventures in Atlanta...the pajama partie sand sightseeing and the newly bonded friendships...I was amazed!  I wanted in!  I began to post more frequently and became a part of the group and when the next event was planned for New Orleans I decided I had to be there... (of course, I made my husband come along, just in case they actually were axe murderers!).

Oh, what a wonderful time we had... the delightful people we met... precious dogs we cuddled and interesting places we saw.  The food was outstanding and sharing meals with our new friends was a real treat.  A trip for Stripper's Pasties, a peep into a stall to see a man in the Ladies Room, pajama parties with the girls, and so much laughter and fun sealed friendships that I treasure to this day.

                                       New Orleans...The BoardBroads have landed!!!
                                                                  
Lorrine(?), Rhpna, Ellin and Nancy
                                                                   
Doty, Jane, Day? (seated) and Cissy and Boo
Boo (?)
                                                                   
                                                              The Gang's All Here!
                                                                       
 So, reunions became a planned yearly event for a while.  We met again in Carmel,California; Maine; The Berkshires; Napa, California;  Manhattan; Niagra Falls; Pennsylvania, Princeton....We became more involved in each other's lives offering love and support when needed and joining each other's families for joyous events such as weddings and baby showers.

Sadly, the AOL Message Boards no longer exist.  Many of our friends there have died, or gone their own way...but so many more of us are in touch almost every day...through the Yahoo List, Facebook, e-mails or a phone call or personal visit.  Anonymous friends no more...but really good and life-long buddies. Many have lost the cavaliers that were in New Orleans, but through the  years we have never lost each other....we have become a family.
                                                                     
When Jane, one of my dearest Boardbroads, joined my family over an Easter/ Passover holiday I made Rack of Lamb for her...here it is ...

Ellin's Rack of Lamb
1 rack of lamb with frenched ribs
2 sprigs of rosemary
3 sprigs of thyme
2 cups beef boullion or stock
6 leaves of fresh basil
olive oil
2 tbsp. butter
2/3 cup white wine
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic finely minced
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs blended with 2/3 cup chopped pistachio nuts and minced garlic
Heat oven to 350 degrees
1-On the stove-top heat about 3 tbsp oil in an oven-proof saute pan
2-Rinse and dry  and then firmly press rack into breadcrumb mixture until whole rack is completely covered
3-Sear lamb on all sides until it has a nice brown crust...then remove from pan and set aside
4-Deglaze the pan with the wine and add 1 cup of the beef bullion, butter, rosemary, basil, and thyme and reduce down 1/4 ofthe liquid.
5-Return the rack to the pan and spoon liquid over it.  Roast uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Baste it twice and if liquid cooks out add more boullion and a bit more wine...not too much as the glaze should be syrupy.
6-Let cooked meat sit about 10-15 minutes to "set" then slice between ribs into chops and spoon gravy onto each serving.
I serve this with garlic mashed potatos,grilled  asparagus, and white or rose wine.
                                                               
                                                                   
                                                     

1 comment:

  1. Ellin
    This surely made me smile remembering the AOL boards. New Orleans was my first adventure with the group and I also brought along my husband, just in case. LOL As you said, these are friendships made through our beloved cavaliers. Special dogs indeed and special friends.

    ReplyDelete