Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dog(gie) Days Part III- Tetley

How I loved living in New York City.  I loved my busy life and I loved coming home to my quiet apartment and sitting on the terrace with Crumpet at my side, watching the activity on the river.  I loved living across the street from the home of the mayor of New York City and seeing dignitaries come and go, flanked by big, black unmarked police cars.  And most of all I loved my daily walks in Carl Shurz Park with Crumpet.


                                                                     
 Walking through the tree-lined pathways to the new Dog Park I could feel the pull on the leash as my girl neared her playground...and I  reveled in her delight as she scampered over to the pretty maltese that was her "best friend".  There was a mini-poodle and a fat little Dachshund that made up their "play-group".  They ran, chased, barked and hid between our feet beneath the benches.  I was always sorry to have to take Crumpet away from her playmates and head home...she seemed to love the company of the others so much.

We had stayed in touch with the people who had adopted Crumpet's sister Victoria, and  had made several visits to their home on the North Fork of Long Island,  One day I received a call from Victoria's "mom".  She was quite agitated as she explained that a friend of hers, an agent in a city rental apartment building, had to enter an apartment because of a very severe water leak.  The tenant was not at home but the leak was so bad that they had to use the pass-key.  Once inside she was appalled to find a tiny black and white puppy sitting in her own filth with several opened cans of  dog food laying on their sides strewn about on the floor.  There were urine stains and feces all over and the puppy was cowering in the middle of the mess.  She scooped up the puppy and called her friend, who in turn, called me.  I was told that the puppy's owner was a young man of about twenty who was terribly spoiled and lived on his wealthy father's credit card.  They had arranged to talk to him and would call me back.  After a most unpleasant chat with the young man they found out he had purchased the little pup in a pet store for...I gasp as I write this...twenty-five hundred dollars, to use, (and I quote), as a "CHICK MAGNET"!  The two women also ascertained that the young man was on drugs and was not too smart.  I said to send him up to see me, and that stupid guy actually agreed to come to my apartment. He arrived on time and as he entered I noticed he had the glazed, rheumy stare of a "stoner".  His nose was red and sore but otherwise he was very handsome...tall with curly black hair and stunning features.  He was a Chick Magnet, but obviously didn't realize it.  I told him I could have him arrested and that scared him...I told him if he gave me the puppy I would not call the authorities.  I would pay him whatever he had laid out in vet fees but that he and his father had to deal with the pet store fee that was paid on daddy's Amex card!  Shockingly, he agreed... and now I had a puppy and Crumpet had her very own playmate! An undersized, 3 month old tri cavalier female who looked like she might have more than a little Charlie in her.  We named her Tetley...what better to go with a Crumpet than TEA! 

                                            (Tetley, the night she arrived in our lives)

Crumpet went right into "mommy mode".  She allowed Tetley to snuggle next to her on her floor pillow and nestle under her chin.  She licked her and warmed her...she had a puppy of her own.  Tetley followed her everywhere.  She ate from Crumpet's bowl with no complaint from Crumpet...she slept tucked close to her"mama" and she began to thrive.  She loved us all but she especially adored my daughter, who seemed to anticipate Tetley's every wish and fulfill it.  We would often ask my daughter what Tetley wanted and she would tell us at once!!!

Tetley was a comedian.  Her antics were hilarious and she provided us with much laughter and fun...but she was a sickly girl.  One problem after another plagued this tiny body requiring surgeries and long vet stays.  She had a luxating patella, a few severe internal infections, a stroke nearly took her from us, and at last, the scourge of the breed, MVD.  She was allergic to most every medication, which only exacerbated her other problems so in her later years, we just tried to make her happy and comfortable, as she loped along in the drunken gait she had acquired after the stroke.  She was 16 1/2 so even with all of her ailments she was a fighter.  After Crumpet left us she seemed so lost.  She followed our other cavalier, Marmalade (next post) lovingly but we saw that the time was nearing.  She was blind, incontinent and terribly confused... my heart sank as I watched her decline.  We knew we had to "make a decision".  We planned to wait a week. One evening that week we went to dinner and a movie ... when we came home I saw Tetley asleep in her bed.  I tried to awaken her to go outside...but she had already made the decision for us...she was with Crumpet.  Her ashes are buried next to Crumpet's, in the garden in the Berkshires...next to her "mother" for eternity...How very sweet to think about our little Clown Princess...it always brings a smile to my face and warmth to my soul. We had taken her from a terrible place and given her love, a "mama" and a life filled with care and joy...my rescue...my little Funny Girl. I loved you, Tee...rest in peace.

                                                       Tetley at about t 15 years old

If Crumpet was a mighty eater, thenTetley was picky one.  She had a "sophisticated palate" and just loved, of all things...fish!  Whenever I made a fish dish I always got an extra piece to prepare for our littlest girl...with fond memories...FISH for Tetley!

Plain Broiled Fish
6 filets of fish (grey sole, lemon sole, salmon...)
2 lemons
4 tbsp.butter
1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs plus1/2 tsp. garlic powder, blended
Set oven to Broil and raise rack to broiling height
1-Spray a metal pan with Pam and then melt the butter under the broiler
2-While butter melts rinse fish under cold water and squeeze juice of 1 lemon over filets
3-When butter is just melted remove pan from oven ... dip fish in breadcrumbs covering both sides then dip in melted butter covering both sides and place in pan.
4- For sole broil until deep golden on one side...for salmon you can turn it and broil both sides (check for doneness...I like my fish cooked through)
5- slice second lemon for garnish
                                                     
                                             Salmon with green beans and baked potato  

                            Grey Sole topped with tartare sauce, with creamed spinach and baked potato 
                                                              
My family likes fish served with a green vegetable (like green beans sauteed with garlic and tossed with pignoli nuts then sprinkled with parmigiana cheese), and a baked potato...

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Ellin. Simply wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWW!!!! More, more, more!!!! LOVELY, a sweet lovely read! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete