Saturday, May 11, 2013

M... is for the million things...


Mother's Day...a time to honor all mothers.  Just the aroma of  lilacs can conjure up memories of my mother.  Every Mother's Day there was always an armload of this fragrant, lovely flower delivered to my mother, who so loved them.  So on this Mother's Day Eve I have been thinking about her, (as I often do, even without a special occasion) and hoping that some of what I learned from her about motherhood has rubbed off.

 From the time I was very small I knew how much she loved me. Her touch, her voice, her kindness were ever present, and intrinsically I knew that she was my protector and my teacher.  I saw how she loved my father... that she was a devoted a daughter and sister ...  what a true and loyal friend she was...  It always seemed that wherever Marcy was, the fun and laughter were there as well.

My mother could sing...no, I mean she could really sing!!  She had a beautiful soprano voice that would echo through the rooms, bringing me running to her side, trying to join her with my little girl voice.  She could harmonize to any song and as I grew older, cleaning up after dinner was always fun as we sang all the popular songs to which she would add harmony and Doo-Wop (even if she made up many of the lyrics!)
... Give my mom a stage and an audience and she was ON!  She had incredible presence.  I remember her 90th birthday party.  She included every single one of the more than sixty guests by name and with an anecdote in the speech that she wrote and delivered without once looking at her notes! Afterward she hopped up on the piano and sang dozens of songs with the pianist we had hired to entertain...much to his amazement and everyone's delight.  
                                            
Dress rehearsal for a show that she co wrote and starred in 

She was not strict but insisted on good manners (like acknowleging gifts with a hand-written note, not interrupting adults, saying "please" and "thank you", etc...), neatness (until I entered my teens and seemed to morph into her worst nightmare!) good hygeine and respect...and since we knew no other way but hers, that is how it was!  

Professionally she was an Interior Designer of exquisite and elegant taste.  Our home was an ever changing palette for her ideas and talents.  She could sew beautifully and made beautiful draperies for our living room, bed spreads for our beds, curtains for our bedroom ...and as if this was not enough, she could make lampshades from scratch!! I used to love when the big bolts of fabric arrived from Brunchwig et Fils or Clarence House because I knew that we were about to have  new living room curtains or fabulous new bedspreads in our bedroom...all created by her little golden hands.  I suppose that this was passed on to me, for I still thrill at the prospect of changing a room, either for a client or in my own home,(although I leave the sewing to others!!) and perhaps this just brings me closer to a sweet memory of Mommy.
                                          
My wedding
"Mommy"...we always called her that.  Never Mom or Mother, just MOMMY.  I always called her Mommy until the day she died...and my children called her Nana. And what an outstanding Nana she was!  She played with them as babies, helped me nurse them through illnesses, attended every birthday party, many Little League games, dance recitals, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, special events, graduations (including all  three of their college graduations, Law School graduation and my son's induction into the NY and NJ Bar).  She shlepped up to Lenox  Massachusetts endless summers to visit them at camp and knitted countless sweaters for her favorite models!  She loved to have them at her house and create beach adventures with them.  A sleep-over at Nana and Poppy's was a special event!  She fully embraced her grandchildren...their friends and their colleagues became her grandchildren too.  And that love was returned a thousand fold...

My 40th Birthday at Lutece (with Mommy and Stefanie...(that's me, seated!)

As the daughter of caterers my mother learned her lessons well and her expertly cooked food was delicious, innovative, and exqisitly presented. As a child I was always welcome at her side as she cooked and I was given little tasks appropriate to my age.  As an adult I loved to have her in my kitchen or visit hers where we cooked side by side and learned from each other.  Every time I prepare a meal it is as if she is standing beside me, smiling... encouraging me...challenging me. 

When she was 91 years old she left this world...but not our hearts or memories or lives.  She lives on in me, in my children and in my grandchildren.  She was a woman of tremendous love, talent, gifts, wisdom, strength and kindnesss. All I am as a wife, mother (mother-in-law), sister, daughter and friend I learned from he  example.  I hope I learned well...I hope she would be proud of me.

                                                               
.
                         Happy Mother's Day!!!!

Of all the fabulous meals my mother made, the innovative and special menus...the one everyone in the family always asks for is her Salmon Patties! Not fancy, not complicated...just delicious! So, remembering Marcy...here is the recipe! 

MARCY`S SALMON CROQUETTES
ingredients:

1 large can red salmon
1 tsp. grated onion or more to taste
1 lg. grated carrot
Seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs
salt/pepper/garlic powder

Empty salmon can into a bowl .  Remove bones and skin, from salmon and discard liquid, bones and skin… then mash salmon with a fork..
Add onion, carrots and eggs.  Then add breadcrumbs so that paste is soft but not mushy.  Season to taste.

Put seasoned breadcrumbs on a plate and add some garlic powder. Dip patties in breadcrumbs and place in well Pam-sprayed baking pan.  Dot with butter or margarine and broil.  Turning once so that it is golden on each side
Makes 6-8 patties.  These can also be fried





...serve with baked potato, green beans and hot rolls...so delicious and soooo easy!!

1 comment:

  1. How I loved hearing about your mom, the beautiful memories all written with your usual, beautiful, eloquence. Love her. Love you. And your children, as well as there children too!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete