Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Grand Tour...Part III

                                                                    
We left beautiful Italy for the long journey to Holland.  From sunny, red hot, exciting Italy we arrived in the greener, cooler lowlands of  Holland.  Amsterdam was our headquarters and it was rather citified but at this place in time there were still a few people to be occasionally seen wearing wooden shoes and traditional dress...the lace caps and aprons. 
                                                                
                                                                      
Bicycles were everywhere!  People biked swiftly by and the  two-wheel traffic was much like rush hour in New York City!  Many streets are alongside the canals that run through the city ... housboats rocked gently on their moorings ... and even with people bustling to and fro, there was a sense of peace here.

                                                                          
It was past the tulip season so we missed the mind-blowing sight of acres of brightly colored tulips in bloom (remember this was before the days of flowers being in season all year long, imported from green-houses world over)... we did take the tour to Volendam and Marken to see traditional Dutch life...the fishing villages...farms where cheeses were still produced the old-fashioned way (and still are)...and of course...the windmills!  It was a lovely tour and I purchased wooden shoes and a lace cap for my little sister. 


On a side trip to Edam one day I sent wheels of cheese home for my dad.  It was so interesting to watch the cheese-makers and then be able to send home the product to share with the family...

We packed a lot into our short visit to the Netherlands...but it was time to head to London.

Weary, but excited to be finally in London, we got to our hotel late in the evening.  Our beds had been turned down, a huge bowl of fresh fruit awaited us and a giant bathtub was calling my name.  So civilized...
                                                                Park-Lane Hotel
London was special  to me.  My paternal grandparents had come to London from Russia.  Both in their teens, they met and married there. 
                                             
                                           ( My Grandparents engagement photo...London)                 
My grandpa emigrated to the US first,  followed by my grandma (a fabulous story for another day!)  My grandpa's brother and his family still lived there and I was thrilled to meet cousins Morris and Hetty. Morris was the son of my grandfather's brother...my dad's first cousin. (Today their daughter lives in California...she spent time with us in New York when I was in my sophomore year of college... and I have renewed a friendship with her...as well as her children and the family of her brother, Sidney.... )  Also, my cousin by marriage (whom we called "Uncle" Albert) had a nephew Sam  living in London.  He was married to a beautiful Italian Jewess who fled from Italy with her family during WWII.  We had dinner at their home and lovely Edith taught me how to make zabaglone! ( Some years later Sam was elected to Parliament and served for many, many years.) How thrilling to meet family...and we still had London to see, too!
                                                            London Bridge
                                                Double-deck bus and London phone booth
                                                                                                 
We took buses  and the underground all over London.  I loved the double decker buses and sitting up high and able to see the sights.  We toured the parks, Parliament, watched the changing of the guard, went to the British Museum,Tower of London and had tea at Claridge's.  I received a call from the son of my aunt's friend one day.  He was studying in London and asked if I would like to go to see Westminster Abbey with him.  My aunt begged off, so he and I went alone. A date!  He was very sweet and  knowledgeable and an excellent guide albeit a little nerdy. (I actually thought about that day as I watched the royal wedding on TV recently!)    We went for tea at a lovely place that he knew of and then we  took a long walk in St. James Park. (We corresponded for a while after I returned to the States...I believe he later became a multi-millionaire...oh well...choices...right? Or was it The Revenge of the Nerds?)

                                                                    St. James Park
An EnglishTea 
      My Grand tour was coming to a close.  I was elated to have had such an outstanding experience but anxious to return home to tell of our adventures and give out my gifts, bought with great anticipation of how they would be received.  I had tales to tell, gifts to present and souveniers of the most exciting experience of my life, so far. And, I had eaten many foods I had never had before.  I wanted to try to prepare them with my mother.

Our voyage home was calm and uneventful.  We chose a table that had other young people and some people that were interesting for my aunt.  We were all returning from touring around Europe, tired and excited. 
 My parents were at the dock as we disembarked.  I remember I was wearing my gondolier's shirt and straw hat from Venice ...my new Swiss  watch on my wrist and a beautiful navy blue skirt I had purchased in Paris...funny, the things you remember.  I was tanned from the sun and glowing with excitement and my mom burst into tears when she saw me...(to be fair...I probably didn't look so gorgeous... but I do come from a long line of women who cry at supermarket openings!) Home...with an adventure of a lifetime under my belt...and all these many, many years later I can still recall so many details and the wonder of discovering the world.

The next blog will contain recipes popular in each country I visited on this tour...get your pots and pans ready...stoke up the AGA...and watch for it!

                                                        

                                                                         
                                                                        

                                                                 

2 comments:

  1. Ellin, I've been so busy that I had to save catching up with your blog for a time when I could truly enjoy it. This rainy Sunday provided just that chance. You have lived a charmed life, Ellin. Thank you so, so much for sharing all of these wonderful stories, photos and recipes....recipes that I hope to experience for myself someday!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Sue...it only seems charmed because I only write about the good times...indeed, I have been lucky, but the good times have always been tempered by the not-so-good...I guess that is the way to be kept humble! LOL

    ReplyDelete