Thursday, August 4, 2011

And here they are...Recipes Reminiscent of My Grand Tour...

France...Paris:  What is more Parisian than a sidewalk cafe?  Sitting at a cafe in the early morning... with the international newspaper, a steaming cup of coffee and a chocolate croissant melting on your tongue is my idea of heaven. Or being able to stop at one of the many cafes or bistros for a quick lunch that always turned into a relaxed meal.  On my first trip I was introduced to a divine dish that did not seem to appear in this country with any frequency until quite a while after this visit to Paris...Quiche Lorraine.  We had stopped into a cafe for lunch and the waiter suggested that we try the special of the day...and what he brought to us was a warm, golden delight.  Crusty, cheesy and filled with delicious surprises.  Today Quiche Lorraine is my go-to for a luncheon at home with my friends or a picnic with my family.
                           Quiche Lorraine ( from NY Times Cook Book)
Pastry for one-crust 9" pie ( I use frozen pie crust, but you can make your own!)
4-5 strips of bacon
1 onion thinly sliced
1 cup of Gruye`re cheese in small cubes
1/4 cup grated Parmigiana cheese
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups of cream (or 1 cup milk and 1 cup cream)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees - Line a 9" pie plate or quiche dish with crust (prick with a fork) and bake 5 minutes - remove from oven and set aside
2-Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp...remove from pan and set aside...pour off all but about 1 tbsp of bacon fat and cook the onions in the remaining fat until transparent.
3-Crumble the bacon and sprinkle the bacon, onions and cheeses over the bottom of the partly baked pastry
4-Combine cream, eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg and pour through a strainer over the onion-cheese mixture
5-Bake at 450 for 15 minutes then reduce oven temp to 350 and bake about another 10 minutes until a knife inserted about 1 inch from edge comes out clean

I serve this with a spinach salad...

                                                                    
1 bag washed and dried baby spinach leaves
1 small red onion thinly sliced
8-10 sliced mushrooms
1 hard boiled egg chopped fine
Combine spinach, mushrooms and onions and toss with your favorite vinaigrette...garnish with chopped egg...

                                                               
SWITZERLAND:  I always think chocolate when I think Switzerland.  Sinking my teeth into a chocolate bar or sipping a luscious, creamy hot chocolate always brings sweet memories of alpine visits..  Chocolate Fondue is sort of Swiss...cheese fondue being the real import.  However as a mother and grandmother one has to account for many tastes, and children's tastes can be quirky...Chocolate fondue caters to almost every taste, and it is E A S Y ! 
 Like every bride of the sixties, I was given the gift of a fondue set!  A little burner, stand and a pot which sat atop the stand and a set of six long handled forks.  I found cheese fondue messy and better eaten at someone else's party! However, my fondue set remained with us, languishing for years and years in our attic or garage.  When my children were small I was reading about dipping strawberries in chocolate and from that grew dipping other goodies into the chocolate...then the fondue pot was rediscovered and ...Voila!...a fun dessert was born in my house that everyone could enjoy...Today my children still enjoy this dessert and my granchildren love to help prepare and set it out...it is more than a dessert...it is a project

                                    Our Family's Chocolate Fondue Recipe
1 bag of chocolate chips (I use Nestles)
1 tbsp butter
cream
marshmallows 
bananas sliced
strawberries
pineapple wedges
pound cake chunks
vanilla cookies
ginger snaps
1- In a double boiler or a heat-proof bowl set over simmering water, place 1 bag of chocolate chips, butter and about 1/2 cup cream.  When this is melted it can be transferred to the fondue pot or just set in a larger, lower bowl of hot water to keep the first bowl heated
2-Set out fruits, cake, cookies, marshmallows...your imagination is the guide to what you can dip...
if you have the set use the long forks...if not set out small dessert bowls and let each person have a little bowl of chocolate and a table fork...and just go to town!

                                                                                  
ITALY:  OMG...Italian food!  As I grew up pizza was just arriving in the US.  Spaghetti and meatballs was about the only Italian dish I had ever really had with any regularity, so when we got to Italy my taste buds were singing (loudly!)!  The flavors...the textures...the aromas!  Still and always my favorite to cook (and eat!), Italian food fills my recipe notes and cook books.  Usually easy to prepare and delicious to eat, it remains my #1 choice for dinner parties, family gatherings or simple meals for just my husband and me.
Some years ago I arrived at the home of a  client (of Italian parentage) to be greeted by an aroma so glorious I could actually taste the food from just the smell of it.  It immediately brought forth a memory of a place we had eaten in Florence on that first, long ago journey.  Vodka Sauce!...I had to have this recipe...and for years I have been making it to the raves of family and guests....

My Friend Donna R's Bowtie Pasta in Vodka Sauce
 1 lb. box of bowtie pasta
1/2 stick of butter
salt, pepper pinch of red pepper flakes 
2-3 cloves of garlic     
3 large serving spoons of crushed red tomatoes (Those big stainless steel spoons)
1 pint heavy cream
1 cup parmigiana cheese (plus mor reserved)
1 bunch of parsley minced
1/2 cup vodka
1-Saute together butter, salt, pepper and garlic...then add crushed tomatos
2- Then add 1 pint heavt cream...1 cup parmigiana cheese...minced parsley and vodka (you may need to add more cheese to thicken sauce)
Stir until thickened.  Usually better (and thicker) if served next day.
*you can double recipe...if you triple it, use less butter...1 stick is good for triple recipe
This is delicious served with salmon, shrimp or chicken
 

ENGLAND...London: I love an English tea!  My first time was at Claridge's in London.  What an elegant, lovely way to spend time.  Little sandwiches, scones with clotted creamand jam, and tiny cakes and desserts served with pots of tea.  When a full tea started to be served in New York I took my daughter and my mother and together the three of us enjoyed this most delicious, civilized and traditional repast.  Over the years I have attended or hostessed numerous Afternoon Teas.  I actually have several 3 tier trays which I use to mimic those wonderful teas I have enjoyed in London over the years.
                                                                 
Tea Sandwiches
Cucumber
Tuna Sandwiches
Salmon Sandwiches
Egg Sandwiches
Nova scaotia salmon and creme fraiche

I use different breads...white...pumpernickel...wheat...date and nut....make the sandwich, remove the crusts and slice in 1/3's

Scones with clotted cream...babana bread...sweet rolls

Cakes and pastries, which I usually order from a bakery, and fresh fruit and whipped cream



Well, there you have it...the way it all began...collecting recipes from travels and friends...every place I visit, every person I meet is a possible source for fabulous food!!

No comments:

Post a Comment