Friday, March 8, 2013

Connecting...and re-connecting!


When I was about 11 or 12 our class connected with a class in Stoke Newington, UK.  Each of us got a pen-pal in that class, and mine was Derek Thomason.  We wrote religiously to each other, sent photos and pledged to meet one day.  He was a handsome boy with black hair and huge eyes trimmed by thick black lashes... that is what I saw on the small black and white photo that was enclosed in one letter.  I waited anxiously for each precious missive to appear in the mailbox.  Gus, our mailman, would wave the tissue thin envelope with the Queen Elizabeth II stamp, as he saw me approach the bank of brass mailboxes in our apartment building..."Your English boyfriend sent you another letter," he would bellow across the marble lobby.  
Trembling with anticipation I would open the letter right there in the hallway.  It was such a big deal to get overseas mail.  Oh, my dad got occasional mail from an Uncle in London and we heard from cousins from my mom's side of the family there too, but this was MINE, (and he was hot looking!)  There were often weeks between letters, heightening the anticipation.  We never thought of using the telephone either, because such a trans-atlantic call would have been outrageously expensive.  Hand written letters, that is how we stayed in touch in those days.  Of course, after a while Derek and I lost touch, but letter writing was indeed the accepted way to connect with far away friends.

At summer camp we sent post cards and short letter to our parents at home...when we recieved a gift a note was immediatly sent on stationary that had the  white on blue silhuoette of a lady whose skirt spelled out my name...In later years long newsy letters were dispatched weekly to my in-laws in North Carolina telling the about exploits of their far away grand-children. 


As a Sweet 16 gift I got my own telephone with my own number.  I could call my friends and free up the family phone, which at that age I had all but commandeered for myself!  It was a pink Princess Phone (what else?) and was my pride and joy.  Most of my friends were local and camp friends were not really far away, but even a call to New Jersey was  considered Long Distance and came with a hefty fee (and a long lecture from my parents about "responsibility"!) Even many years later, when we lived in New Jersey with our growing family, a call to my parents in New York was considered long distance and we were charged appropriately.
The old desktop PC

It really wasn't until we moved to Manhattan after my children were grown that I  got interested in really learning how to use  the computer.  I had used one while working at the design firm in New Jersey, but no e-mail or much of anything more than using a design program and generating invoices and contracts.  So my son the tech-ie sat me down and said. "...just try it Mom...explore, and if you need me I am right here..."  And so, I began a voyage into cyberspace. 

Oh, the world that it opened for me!  My first big "find" was the AOL message boards.  Here I met my beloved "Boardbroads" and their Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.  To this day I count many of them among my closest and dearest friends. http://elsrecipiecollection.blogspot.com/2011/06/doggie-days-boardbroads.html
Then there are the fabulous folks I met on the AOL travel boards.  Our occasional get-togethers, frequent on-line connections (and even a meeting in Paris with one couple) has enriched my life in so many ways. Intelligent, funny and fun, each one brings something special to our meetings and our circle.


Certainly social media has changed the way the world connects.  You can find long lost buddies, post photos, share just about everything on Facebook, Tweet every second of your life on Twitter and My Space documents everything one wishes to documment!  I am often amazed at the personal and private postings.  I do love touching base with friends far and near but am careful to just share what won't come back and bite me in the a - -!!
Of course, my favorite aspect of all of this is the old friends with whom I have re-connected and the new ones I have made.  Among them is a childhood friend from kindergarten, now a most gifted artist and photographer who has come back onto my radar through another childhood neighbor that found me on a high school site!  Old friends from my early New Jersey days, and a friend in California whom we loved and lost touch with, have been found!   Clients that I so enjoyed working with, friends of my kids with whom I have great rapport, can all now "visit" me daily.  I can marvel at their accomplishments, sypathize with their sadnesses, enjoy their humor, agree or disagree with their politics, and  share their family exploits all from the comfort of my desk at home!  We can "chat" on line even Skype and there is no long distabce charge!!

Through my husband's Facebook connection with his North Carolina roots I met a friend with whom he went to school.  She and I are the North and South version of each other, and although we have never actually met in person, we share a very strong bond.  I know that an in-person meeting is not too far in the future. 

My family has reconnected with family from all over...The Russian Cousins...the English Cousins...the California Cousins...sharing photos and milestones and news...what a joy!

I am able to share recipes with friends and relatives from all over.  I can also find the best recipes on line...what a world of opportunity is open to us!  Any information that we seek at our fingertips...re-uniting with family and friends...planning travel...health information...instant news and weather...the endless possibilites!  I bet I could even find out where Derek Thomason is today!!!

No longer do I have to wait in the lobby for the mailman...I only have to open my laptop or go to my smart-phone and there they are...my friends and family from all over the world!




One of my dearest Board Broads lives in Texas.  I am the Ethel to her Lucy and we have shared many laughs and many tears over the years.  When I visited her in Texas she served King Ranch Chicken which is now a huge favorite here in my house...here is
                                         Cissy's King Ranch Chicken



2-3 whole, boned chicken breasts  poached in chicken broth and diced after cooking
10 corn tortillas
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, diced
2 cups of grated cheddar cheese mixed with i cup grated jack cheese
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of cream of chicken soup       (Do not add water to the soups!)
1 cup of chicken broth
1 can of Ro-Tel tomatoes ((with chilles)
1 tsp. of chile powder (optional)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine soups, broth; blend until smooth. (chille powder option here)
3. Place a layer of  tortillas in a greased casserole dish.
4. Add layers of chicken, onion, bell peppers,sauce, tomatos and cheese (that order).
5. Repeat layers,top ending with cheese.
6. Bake uncovered for half an hour or until brown and bubbling.

                                    Yeee haw...now that's good eatin'!
                                                         

2 comments:

  1. Oh,Ellin, I am so flattered that you mentioned me in this wonderful post!! I enjoyed reading about all your friends and adventures. You are such a creative person in so many ways. I am almost afraid for us to meet BECAUSE number one, I am not a cook, and you are such an accomplished one!!! If and when that time comes, I will probably break out in hives trying to think of the best restaurant to take you and Peter. I wouldn't dare attempt to make dinner for us, after all, my kitchen cabinets are full of mushroom soup! (I always remember your in-law story!) However, I am sure we could find much to share....if you could understand my very Southern accent. Yes, it is "thick." My NY husband has even adopted the Southern lingo, much to my chagrin. After all, that was one of the very things that attracted me to him!! He only gets aggravated with me when I am explaining something of importance to him. We Southerns do tend to go into great detail. He will say, "will you just get to the point!" I think that is why the South has such great authors as we grew up with much detail before "getting to the point!" (Actually, I think I am doing that just now, so enough!) Just thanks for your friendship!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Bobbie...I am sure that meeting you would be a major highlight, (cream of mushroom soup notwithstanding)!! And one never needs to break out in hives with me because I am easy when it comes to food! I ate fried chicken at Brady's with my in-laws and had chocolate pie at the Toddle house in Durham with my father-in-law...I enjoyed both as much as I enjoy Le Cirque up here!!!I just know that we would be great friends fron the get-go. Peter has become so "northern" and often sounds like he was raised in Brooklyn, so I guess that long years of togetherness rubs off eventually! We have much to share and I look forward to it!!!

    ReplyDelete