Thursday, February 23, 2012

An X-Rated Mix-up!

                                                                  
   It was the 1970's...we were young,beautiful,  slim and oh, so busy!  My husband was in the toy business and I was starting a design firm, being mommy to three small children, running a household and trying to keep it all together. A vacation usually meant the five of us off somewhere that was kid friendly... and no real vacation for me.  When Peter came home and announced that he had to attend some business meetings in Pompano, Florida I was determined to go with him...just the two of us.  We had a live-in nanny but leaving three young  kids alone with her was really too much too ask...and besides, she did not drive.  So, of course, my parents to the rescue!  Out to New Jersey they came, armed with games, toys and armloads of love...and off we went to Florida.

I had grown up in Palm Beach and knew Florida fairly well.  Pompano was not really on my radar but Ft. Lauderdale was more familiar so we chose a beachfront hotel there.
                                                                       
 My husband would spend the day in meetings while I was free to sunbathe, use the pool, shop and sleep late.  Before we left my mother asked me to call her elderly cousins who lived in Ft. Lauderdale...sweet and loving octagenarians.  I promised I would...eventually.  How could I possibly refuse after what my parents were doing for us?

The first morning we were  there Peter went off to his meetings and I booked a spa appointment after a room-service breakfast.  Refreshed and glowing, I then sat poolside, sipping a cool drink and people watching...and what people watching there was!  Young, muscular men were everywhere.  Hoardes of them...with .muscles rippling... sweat polished abs and pecs...  Only later I learned they were the Green Bay Packers!  After my poolside lunch I went upstairs and changed my clothes, called a cab and off to SHOP!

                                                                         

The first  evening was spent with my husband's colleagues and their wives at dinner... with  more business talk between the men, while the women discussed everything from recipes, kids, fashion, politics and what we were reading...and they all seemed to be reading "The Happy Hooker" by Xaviera Hollander, a madam who wrote a "how-to" memoir!  It was all the rage at the time and everyone was talking about it.

                                                               
The next morning I marched myself into the gift shop and bought a copy from the quickly dwindling pile on the counter .  This was the 70's and times, they were a changin'...I could read a book like this in public now!  I put on a bathing suit, grabbed the Bain de Soleil and went to sit and read by the pool.  So deeply engrossed was I in the exploits of Ms. Hollander that I never heard the young man sit down beside me.  When I lifted my head to take a sip of my Evian, he smiled and said,  "what's a nice girl like you doing readin' a book like that?"  By now I knew that he was one of the football players.  I said, "well, I married a very old man and just wanted to see how the other half lives..." I thought he would see that I was joking...but abruptly he was called away by some team mates and I resumed my reading, totally forgetting the conversation.
                                                                
 I finally tore myself from the pages of the book and headed up to the room...and remembered to call my mother's cousin.  I shouted a great deal since she was quite hard of hearing...but finally I accepted an invitation for lunch at their home the next day.  She insisted that they pick me up at the hotel and I finally acquiesced, completely unaware that her husband could barely see and still drove a car!!!!

The next day dawned cloudy and warm.  I slept late and then dressed, went down to the shops to get a gift for the cousins and wait in the lobby for them to pick me up.  From my big straw bag I pulled my book and sat near the door, reading as I waited.  I looked up, to see my football friend from the day before standing over me..."still readin' that book?  Are you learning anything for your 'elderly husband' ?"  I could see he did not believe what I had tod him.  But before I could answer, Cousin Harry stepped into the lobby... still handsome at 87, with snow white hair and tanned skin, thick eyeglasses... a little bent but still  jaunty. I walked toward him, kissing his cheek, then turned to my new pal and said,  "Excuse me...we have to leave now"...  as I watched his jaw drop...! 

The ride to their home is indeed a story for another day, but lunch was delightful and I loved hearing family stories, particularly about my mother's youthful days! With the human instinct for self preservation,  I insisted upon calling a cab to return to the hotel!!!

We had reservations at a nice restaurant for dinner.  I changed into one of my new outfits, used make-up to highlight my newly acquired tan, slipped into high heeled sandals and was ready for a date night with my husband.  We stepped into the elevator arm in arm...and who should be in the car...my football pal!!!! (you couldn't make this up!)  He looked at me, then at Peter, who was as tall as he was,  with glossy black hair (...yes, there was a time) and his wide swimmer's shoulders, his arm protectivly around me.  A huge smile broke out across the athlete's face, and as we exited the elevator he whispered to me..."I thought you were kidding...but I guess not! Well, good for you, nicely done!"

Florida always has the most fabulous fish dishes...this one is my own recipe...

                                                             
FISH FANTASY

ingredients:

6 fillets of sole (gray sole, lemon sole are fine)
6 cleaned, raw shrimp
fresh basil minced
salt/pepper/
2 cloves finely minced garlic
white wine (dry)
medium onion minced or 1 bunch scallions
6-8  ripe plum tomatoes  peeled, cubed and de-seeded
6 strips mozzarella cheese (optional)
extra virgin olive oil
 Directions:

Rinse and dry fish.
Place fish smooth side down and sprinkle with seasonings. Then, place slice of cheese and raw shrimp in center.  Roll up and fasten with toothpick.
Set aside.
In a large skillet sauté onions, garlic and tomatoes in 3 tbsp ev olive oil until blended and remove from pan.
Deglaze the pan with 1/2 tp 3/4 c. white wine and add fillets carefully as they
flake if you are not careful. 
After fish turns white and opaque add the tomatoes and add seasoning.  Add a bit more wine , cover and simmer about 5-7 min.
This is delicious over pasta or rice.

My favorite recipe for steamed mussels is from Tyler Florence of the Food Network...
flavored with leeks, thyme and garlic they are truly mouth-watering!

                                                                    

Tyler Florence's Steamed Mussels

Ingredients

Directions

Rinse the mussels under cold running water while scrubbing with a vegetable brush. Remove the stringy mussel beards with your thumb and index finger as you wash them. Discard any mussels with broken shells.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks, garlic, and thyme and cook until the vegetables cook down to a pulp, about 5 minutes. Add the mussels and give everything a good toss. Add the white wine. Cover and steam over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, until the mussels open. Stir occasionally so that all the mussels are in contact with the heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and a drizzle of olive oil to the sauce remaining in the pot and swirl to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.

A glass of sauvignon blanc, a loaf of crusty bread to dip in the broth and you are all set!
                                                                                                        
                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment